Yes, I know it is January and I’m posting about pumpkin bread, but it has been far too long since I have shared a recipe with you! Besides, pumpkin is a wonderful, immune boosting food that you can easily get in a can year round. See my pumpkin waffles/pancakes recipe if you are looking for more inspiration.
- Oat Bran
- Whole Wheat Flour
- Sweet Potato
- Chia Seeds
- Ripe Bananas
- Olive oil
- Sweet Potato (A vitamin A powerhouse!)
- Chia Seeds (Loaded with antioxidants!)
Banana Sweet Potato Pumpkin Bread
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 1 hour
- 1 and 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour regular whole wheat will be fine but will give a denser quality to the bread, oat flour
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1 generous tbsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 generous tsp pumpkin pie spice can use combination of cinnamon and nutmeg
- 3 tsp of chia seeds soaked in 3 tsp of water for 10-15 minutes
- 1 cup milk
- 1 and 1/2 tsp of vanilla
- 1/3 cup of olive oil canola oil, vegetable oil, or applesauce
- 3/4 tsp apple cider vinegar lemon juice
- 1/2 cup maple syrup honey, brown sugar, sugar
- 1/2 cup of ripe banana* about 1 medium banana
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened canned pumpkin if pumpkin is watery add 1/4 to 1/2 cup more
- 1/2 cup of mashed cooked sweet potato** canned sweet potato
- Preheat oven to 420 degrees.
- Mix all of your dry ingredients so they are thoroughly combined.
- Mix all of the wet ingredients together. Make sure the pumpkin, sweet potato, and banana are combined.
- Pour the wet mix into the dry and combine by folding together. Do not over mix.
- Pour into a greased bread pan and bake at 420 degrees for 20 minutes. Then turn down to 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Depending on your oven you could potentially need another 10 minutes, but check after 40 minutes with a toothpick.
- Cool for 30 minutes before removing from pan. The longer it cools the more solid the bread will become. We only waited 20 minutes and it was a bit crumbly.
*If you use a banana that still has green on it or is totally yellow, it could have a constipating effect. Only ripe banana will be helpful for elimination.
**I used a left over baked sweet potato, but you could also boil ahead of time or use canned. The small pieces of orange you can see the picture are the sweet potato. As I mentioned above you can use omit the banana and sweet potato and use all pumpkin.